UNDP initiated this project to raise teachers’ awareness about peace building and build their capacities with regards to conflict management; empowering them so that they can transfer the acquired knowledge and skills to their students.
“Center for Active Citizenship” and …For Development, designed and delivered a training curriculum focusing on:
the values of tolerance, diversity, non-discrimination, democracy, non-violence, conflict analysis, conflict management, conflict prevention and conflict intervention.
The training approach is structured by topics. The training on each of the topics is designed to achieve the two following results:
– Acquisition of knowledge and awareness of the treated topic
– Acquisition of delivery skills related to the topic i.e. trainees will learn how to transfer knowledge to students and train them in an effective way.
As such,the training is designed according to the following levels:
The first level consists of bringing the participants to the state of awareness about the values of tolerance, diversity, non-discrimination, democracy, non-violence and human rights. Along with the understanding of values, the training aims at helping teachers become self-conscious and assess their personal behavior and that of their social environment with regards to the respect of these values. This introspection is a key to deep understanding, conviction and developing critical thinking.
The second level consists of helping participants understand the context (political,social and economic) by identifying reasons and causes of conflicts, intolerance, violence, injustice (violation of human rights). This level of knowledge is crucial to give an overview of the reality and help developing alternatives and solutions.
The third level is about:
– Acquiring means and tools in conflict analysis, management, prevention and intervention.
– Acquiring training instruments and skills for transferring awareness and knowledge to students in high schools.
The training topics take into consideration the underlying major sources of conflict, injustice and intolerance in Lebanon: Sectarianism, gender inequality and the culture of violence.
The above intervention logic is reflected in the following training topics and methodology:
– Culture of Peace and Human rights
– Culture of Tolerance
– Education on Democracy and Participation
– Peace building and Conflict Management in the Field of Education
– Non-violent Communication
– Conflict Analysis and Conflict Intervention Methodologies in Schools
– Negotiation and Problem-solving Skills
– Techniques for Mediation in Schools
– Team Dynamics
– Capacity-building for Running Peace Clubs